Medical Certification

If you are sick for seven or less days, you are only required to inform your employer. Patients do not need to see the doctor to obtain a sick certificate. These are available from the receptionist and also from local Social Security offices and hospitals. You should not delay seeing your doctor if you need medical advice or treatment.

Form SC2 (Self Certification 2) is used for Statutory Sick Pay purposes and some employers may ask you to complete it as evidence of incapacity for periods up to seven days (including Sunday), and for the first seven days of longer periods of sickness. (Self Certification 1 is for self employed persons.) You can obtain these forms from your Social Security Office or employer.

Both these forms will cover you until the seventh day of illness. After 7 days you will have to be seen by a doctor to obtain a sickness certificate. You will need to see a doctor to obtain each subsequent certificate until you return to work – although your GP may provide a certificate without seeing you if a hospital doctor has been treating you.

Some employers insist on a sick note for illnesses lasting seven days or less. As this is not a statutory requirement, a charge will be levied which the employer may reimburse.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website